T&Cs Quick find
Terms and Conditions
Below is an outline of the Terms and Conditions of your booking and stay with us, as well as some basic guidelines to consider so that you can get the most out of your placement. This also ensures your safety and that of others involved in your placement with you. On any African Impact placement, we ask you to consider the aims and objectives of the project that you have chosen to be part of and to make every effort to support other volunteers, interns, and our African Impact staff and coordinators in the work that we are doing. By submitting your application online and providing your booking details you have hereby confirmed acceptance of these terms and conditions. Please ensure you read them carefully and do not hesitate to ask your Destination Manager any questions during the consultation process.
A. BOOKING CONDITIONS
- Each booking requires a non-refundable deposit payment to secure your spot of GB£ 150 | US$ 200 | EU€ 175 | AU$ 300 | ZAR 3,000. The deposit payment must be made within 3 days of confirming your booking to secure your placement, with proof of payment sent onto African Impact. This deposit is guaranteed for life, for you only. This can be transferred to an alternative African Impact project if the project has space for your new dates (should these change) and is confirmed in writing by African Impact. Any price increase to your original booking will be part of your final payment. African Impact commits to offering one placement change at no additional cost.
- Each booking incurs an additional GB£20 | US$25 | EU€20 | AU$35 contribution to the African Impact Sustainability Fund. This is invoiced 60 days prior to travel, or upon booking if traveling within 60 days. This contribution is non-refundable once paid. For more information please click here.
- All remaining program fees are due 60 days prior to the commencement of your placement. If you book less than 60 days prior to the commencement of your placement, you will be asked to make full payment immediately to secure your booking. If you are booking on a special offer, please see the specific Terms and Conditions listed in Section B.3.
- If you are partaking in two or more consecutive placements, all invoices are due 60 days prior to the commencement of your first placement, and cancellation terms align with the first program start date.
- If you do not pay your full invoice amount due 60 days prior to the commencement of your placement, without making prior arrangements with us, we reserve the right to cancel your booking.
- Any information or advice provided by African Impact on matters such as permits, visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, etc. is given in good faith, but without responsibility on the part of African Impact. For example, African Impact will not be liable for costs associated with obtaining incorrect visas. The participant accepts responsibility for obtaining all correct and necessary visas and travel documents required for their placement.
- Disclosure of important information – African Impact and its staff reserve the right to terminate a volunteer/intern’s placement, without recourse, if it comes to light that the volunteer/intern failed to provide or provided inaccurate/incomplete booking information (e.g. Date of Birth, Criminal Record Check). In these circumstances, African Impact also reserves the right to not allow you to join the program. If incorrect information is provided, and your placement is canceled because of this, you will not be entitled to a refund.
- Disclosure of Medical information – African Impact and its staff reserve the right to terminate a volunteer/intern’s placement, without recourse, if it comes to light that the volunteer/intern failed to provide or provided inaccurate/incomplete medical history and information on current medical conditions and medications not supported by a Medical Professional’s confirmation prior to arrival. African Impact also reserves the right to not allow you to join the program should the conditions come to light before the start of your placement. In this case, you will not be entitled to a refund. If, however, you provided and disclosed your medical history and then subsequently did not get a Medical Professional’s confirmation then we will refund your payment in full less the non-refundable deposit of GB£ 150 | US$ 200 | EU€ 175 | AU$ 300 | ZAR 3,000.
- Insurance – Before you travel to your placement, you must be covered by travel insurance, which must include adequate cover for baggage, flight delays and cancellations, medical expenses including air evacuation, and the cost of repatriation. We recommend purchasing travel insurance within 15 days of paying your non-refundable deposit. Should you not have adequate cover prior to the commencement of your placement, you may not be allowed to continue on the program and will not be entitled to a refund. Any claims concerning matters for which you are insured must be directed to your insurers. It is often the case that African Impact will put forward the costs of medical expenses in an emergency situation. You hereby agree that African Impact (or its partners) have a right to claim from your insurance provider for any expenses that we may incur on your behalf.
- Flights – When booking your flights, you should consider booking a changeable/flexible return ticket. If any circumstances arise which result in you needing to leave the project at a different date than your original booking, any additional costs incurred will be to your own account.
- Your booking is accepted on the understanding that you realize the potential hazards that may arise in this kind of travel, including injury, disease, loss or damage of property, inconvenience, or discomfort. This type of travel is one that should allow for alternatives and a substantial degree of flexibility. The outlined itineraries given for each placement must, therefore, be taken as an indication of what each volunteer/intern should accomplish, and not as a contractual obligation on the part of African Impact. Changes in itinerary may be caused by circumstances beyond our control. No refunds will be given for services not utilized.
T&Cs Quick find
Terms and Conditions
B. CANCELLATION POLICY
- Any cancellation or postponement/deferral must be agreed in writing (email) by the participant and an African Impact staff member.
- Generally, once payments are made, they become non-refundable.
- At no time does any refund include travel or extraneous expenses as part of your travel plans.
- All refunds will incur a 10% admin fee to cover foreign exchange conversion and bank charges.
1. Where you choose to cancel your placement
- If you cancel your placement up to 60 days before the start of your placement and have already paid your program fee in full, we will issue a travel voucher for the full amount paid that can be used for future travel dates. Should you not be able to travel on future dates, on management discretion, we will offer a refund to a maximum value of 50% of the amount paid less the 10% admin fee and non-refundable deposit of GB£ 150 | US$ 200 | EU€ 175 | AU$ 300 | ZAR 3,000. If you have not yet paid in full, the non-refundable deposit is guaranteed for life, for you only.
- If you cancel your placement between 31 – 60 days from your start date, you will not be eligible for a refund. However, we will offer a travel voucher to the full value paid to be used within 12 months. If a payment extension was granted (in writing) and you decide to cancel within this period having only paid the deposit, the non-refundable deposit is guaranteed for life, for you only.
- If you cancel your placement within 30 days of your start date or should not arrive at your placement for conditions outside of African Impact’s control, we can unfortunately not return any payments to you and you will forfeit the fee already paid. Please check when you arrange travel insurance that a cancellation clause is part of the policy.
- If you do not wish to cancel your placement, but instead postpone, African Impact commits to offering one deferral at no additional cost if a written request is received 60 days or more before your start date. The original fee quoted will be valid for 12 months from your original start date. After 12 months, you will be liable for the difference in fees taken in account of our annual fee changes.
- A postponement or deferral is only available if it is requested 60 days or more before your placement start date. If written notice of a deferral is not provided by you, you will have no right to a refund. If you are requesting a deferral within 30 days of your placement start date, this will be at the express permission of the Sales Manager and may incur transfer fees.
- If you opt to take the one free deferral option and later choose to cancel your new placement, you will not be eligible for a refund, whether you have only paid the deposit or paid in full.
- If you choose to defer your placement for a second or third (or more) time a transfer fee of GB£ 30 | US$ 40 | EU€ 35 | AU$55 | ZAR 600 fee will apply and any change in program fee will be payable.
2. Where African Impact cancels or suspends a placement
- African Impact reserves the right to cancel or suspend a program if it believes the circumstances warrant it.
- In the unlikely event of us having to cancel your placement for reasons within our control, our first recourse, if possible, will be to offer an alternative program. If this is not acceptable to you, we will offer a travel voucher to the full value paid to be used at any future date and program fees will be frozen for 12 months from your original start date. Please note, if you are re-booking beyond this 12 month period you will need to pay the difference if there is a change in program fees. If neither of these options is acceptable to you, we will refund 50% of the cost of the program, excluding the GB£ 150 | US$ 200 | EU€ 175 | AU$ 300 | ZAR 3,000 non-refundable deposit and the 10% administration fee.
- If we cancel your placement for reasons outside of our control (such as natural disasters, disease outbreaks, war, acts of terrorism, civil unrest) our first recourse, if possible, will be to offer an alternative program. If this is not acceptable to you, we will offer a travel voucher to the full value paid to be used at any future date and program fees will be frozen for 12 months from your original start date. Please note, if you are re-booking beyond this 12 month period you will be liable for any change in program fees.
- For cancellations resulting from circumstances outside of our control, all program fees will remain non-refundable.
- In either case of African Impact canceling or suspending a program, we will not be liable to refund you for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking, such as visas, vaccinations, non-refundable connecting flights, etc. It is your responsibility to ensure the travel insurance policy you purchase at the time of booking provides assistance for cancellations.
- All specials are valid for bookings between the dates specified in the advert and are applicable to new bookings only (not extensions or existing bookings).
- Specials are only applicable to African Impact owned and operated programs and do not include programs run by 3rd party operators (unless otherwise stated).
- All specials applied, are for your current booking only. If you choose to postpone your placement then the special will only be valid for 12 months from your original start date. If your placement is suspended by African Impact, however, the special will apply to a future booking up to 24 months from your original start date.
- Program or location-specific specials are for those designated programs/locations only and you will not be able to transfer to a different program or location.
- All payments made by Electronic Funds Transfer/Wire Transfer as part of a special (e.g. 5 – 20% off if payment is made in full) are non-refundable and only transferable to different dates.
- The Terms and Conditions of any specials offered, where different from these Terms and Conditions issued shall be annexed to the relevant special to which it relates.
4. Cost changes outside the control of African Impact
- African Impact reserves the right to pass on costs outside of their or their affiliated partners’ control (e.g. park fee increases, changes in local applicable taxes, for example, value-added-tax). However, African Impact commits to absorbing increased costs up to a total amount equivalent to 2% of the cost of the confirmed African Impact program, and for existing bookings only. If the increased costs exceed this 2%, African Impact may levy a surcharge.
C. REFUND POLICY ONCE ON YOUR PLACEMENT
- If your placement is terminated by African Impact at any point during your placement, because of an infringement of the Code of Conduct, there will be no refund for the entirety of your stay.
- Any termination by African Impact due to an infringement of the Code of Conduct will be deemed a termination by African Impact as an organization, applicable to all of our placements, and as such, should you be booked on more than one African Impact project, placement at all projects will be terminated.
- African Impact reserves the right to cancel or suspend a program with immediate effect if the situation warrants it. For example, a natural disaster, disease outbreak, war, act of terrorism or civil unrest in the location of our projects could mean it is unsafe to continue operations. If your placement is suspended while you are on project, we will provide assistance to ensure your safe return to your home country, but will not be liable for any incidental expenses you incur, such as fees for changing flights. There will be no refund for having your trip cut short, however, we will offer a travel voucher for the remaining trip balance to be used towards another trip at any future date.
- If you terminate your placement at any time during your placement, for any reason whatsoever, you will not be entitled to claim any refund nor will you be entitled to claim any other expenses applicable to your placement. Any costs relating to change of tickets, etc. will be for your account.
- Should you overpay African Impact in error when paying your placement fee, African Impact will refund you for the over-payment less a 10% administration fee. African Impact reserve the right to refund such excess funds only if said monies exceed an amount of GB£ 50 | US$ 50 | EU€ 50 | AU$ 50 | ZAR 1000 and at our sole discretion, in consideration of associated international administrative and banking fees. Further, no refund is applicable or possible in the case of Criminal Record Check facilitation fees whatsoever, given that these monies are disbursed to third parties from whom a refund is not applicable.
D. TRANSFERS BETWEEN PROJECTS
- Transfers between projects are not permitted if you received a special offer at the time of booking. See Section B.3. for further details.
- Should you wish to amend your placement from one project to another, you will be required to provide 60 days written notice, and such change shall be subject to availability on the project.
- Should you wish to transfer from one project to another project having already begun your placement, or within 60 days of beginning such placement, such transfer shall be treated as a new booking and will be subject to availability. You will be required to pay the normal placement fee applicable for the particular project chosen and the duration of placement on that new project.
E. GENERAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Because we want African Impact to grow and flourish along with the African countries and communities in which we work, it is important that you follow these rules and guidelines.
- We ask that you do not carry or use any illicit substances or non-prescription drugs for the duration of your stay in your host country.
- We ask that you do not bring yourself or African Impact into disrepute, nor involve any other employee, volunteer, or intern in any behavior that might amount to disrepute. If your behavior is found to be detrimental to the program that you are involved with, you may be asked to leave immediately without compensation. See Section C.1. and C.2. for further details.
- Please, at all times, remain presentable and well dressed. We expect you to behave with a level of courtesy consistent with the situation and, of course, the local customs.
- If you would like to make changes to your placement schedule or any other arrangements, please do not do so until you have consulted directly with your African Impact Placement Manager. Only when you have had written confirmation of acceptance of your request will that change be put into action.
- We ask you to be considerate of fellow volunteers, interns, and coordinators by being punctual for your activities and duties to the best of your ability.
- All of our participants are required to submit a Criminal Record Check (with respect to working with children and vulnerable communities) prior to arrival and commencement of placement, which is a mandatory requirement, without exception. All of our participants, regardless of program selection, will come into contact with minors or vulnerable adults at some point during placement, and we thus feel it is our responsibility to ensure a Criminal Record Check is in place for each participant to assist in ensuring the continued safety of the people with whom we work. Please keep this in mind and be sure to apply for your Criminal Record Check in good time, as your Criminal Record Check should not be older than 6 months from your participation start date. In the event you are unable to provide a Criminal Record Check or proof of submission thereof prior to joining us, you will be unable to begin your scheduled placement until we have received a Criminal Record Check or proof of application thereof.
- Please do not take days off from projects unless you have given prior notice and it has been agreed upon by your project coordinator. This does not apply in the event of illness.
- If your behavior, words, or actions are thought to be disruptive by African Impact staff, or if you are thought to be a bad influence on others, after one warning, either verbal or written, you may be removed from the program without compensation.
- While on placement, your accommodations will be cleaned by the relevant staff. Please treat them with courtesy and keep your room tidy. Respect your accommodation and show consideration for others.
- The accommodation provided is for use by volunteers, interns, and African Impact staff only. No one else, including any visitors, are permitted to use these accommodations while you are on your placement.
- The number of service hours and the timing of such service will vary depending on your specific placement. You will need to show reasonable flexibility as your day-to-day schedule will likely change. Some days may include longer hours of service than others. When you arrive at your project you may also find that the number of service hours differs from those you were originally given. This is for reasons beyond our control (e.g. poor weather, school closures, or animals that need urgent attention, etc.). Every placement will have down-time for you to relax and socialize. This will usually be in the evenings and on weekends. However, for some projects it may differ. For example, on our wildlife research projects, down-time is usually during the hottest hours of the day when wildlife are least active.
F. competition rules
- Competition closes at midnight on 30 April 2021.
- In order to enter the competition, participants must follow all of the steps as outlined in the competition Instagram post.
- This competition is in no way affiliated to Instagram or its partners.
- A winner will be randomly drawn by 7 May 2021.
- The winner will win a free 2-week project placement in Africa for the year 2021 or 2022.
- The winner may take a friend with them to the same project (i.e. the prize is for two 2-week volunteer trips).
- The project placement must take place in either 2021 or 2022.
- The chosen project must be open on the chosen date in order to be applicable as a prize.
- Project placement excludes flights, insurance, and any other personal expenses not covered in the project cost.
- The winners name will be published on the African Impact website and social media channels.
- African Impact reserves the right to cancel this competition at any time.
- The prize of a 2-week volunteer project placement may be chosen from the following African Impact volunteer projects:
- AFRICAN BIG 5 & WILDLIFE CONSERVATION, SOUTH AFRICA
- DOLPHIN RESEARCH & MARINE CONSERVATION, ZANZIBAR
- WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY & CONSERVATION, SOUTH AFRICA
- TEACHING & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, ZAMBIA
- EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT, SOUTH AFRICA
- TEACHING & COMMUNITY SUPPORT, ZANZIBAR
- MEDICAL & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, ZAMBIA
- SPORTS COACHING AND DEVELOPMENT, SOUTH AFRICA
- SPORTS & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, ZAMBIA
- GIRL EMPOWERMENT, ZAMBIA